On Friday, December 30 Josh played in a Futsal Tournament. He and Jer had been looking forward to this particular tourney for a while because Jer was coaching and Josh got to play a team that consisted of four of his friends from school. He usually doesn't get to play against them because they play in a different division. We played them the first game of the tournament and Josh was loving it. He was just coming back from a concussion two weeks ago and was finally able to play again without holding back.
Just into the second half, Josh went in the game to take a free shot. The field was a little bigger than our practice field and the ball was a heavier ball than he is used to. So, he really wound up and booted that thing straight for the goal. I watched him and the ball. The ball missed the goal by all of six inches. It was a beautiful kick and was the fourth one of this game for him. He was having a great game. However, just as he kicked the ball this time, I saw a look of pain on his face. He immediately turned to his dad and motioned to come out of the game. He hobbled off the field looking like he hurt his ankle. I ran over to the bench (which he hates) and I could see that he was not okay. He said his hip popped and he couldn't walk or sit. He is a tough kid and never cries. He was fighting it this time.
As I walked back over by all the parents, one mom told me that it could be an avulsion fracture. So I sat down and googled it on my phone. It sounded pretty right on.
Before we knew it, the girls were at my moms and we were here:
We actually went to the Urgent Care Center straight from the game. They did an x-ray and referred us to PCMC for further tests. The doctor at the UC was concerned that it might be SCFE (which affects the growth plate in the hip and is BAD news - google it, you'll see). Fortunately, the doctors at PCMC ruled out SCFE and are pretty confident it is in fact an avulsion fracture. So now Josh looks like this:
(Pardon the crappy pics taken with my phone) He is on crutches for a while. We actually don't know how long. I hate it and it stresses me out. He is okay with it only because he got a special medical hall pass at school and gets to leave every class 5 minutes early.
This is him trying to do his drills with his crutches. What a die hard. He makes me smile. We go back to PCMC this Tuesday to see the Orthopedic Specialist and have more test done. Then we should know how long he will be on crutches and if physical therapy will fix it. Crazy, huh? He is a trooper though and nothing seems to get him down.




2 comments:
I hate that hospital but am sure glad it is there!
Bummer.
Post a Comment